Saturday, November 12, 2011

FORBIDDEN BY TABITHA SUZUMA


Author's words:
Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be « normal ». Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have had to become much more than simply brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences... « How can something so wrong feel so right ? »

Summary:
With an alcoholic mother, always out and about, Maya and Lochan, both seniors, have to deal with the everyday family. Between chores, anxiety of being separated by social services, not having enough money to feed their brothers and sisters and duties to make, no real place to live a teenagers life. Unable to open up to others about their life as adults, their complicity is gradually transformed into an impossible love. How will they live this forbidden love?

Impressions:
An surprising and astonshing novel!
The first time I saw this book appear in the Amazon suggestion for my next read, my eye were drawn to dark, sober cover with a heart made ​​of barbed wire. The baseline "How can something so wrong feel so right?" Made me immediately think of a vampire story. After all a forbidden love with a vampire, werewolf, ghosts, angels or other unreal characters is a very fashionable topic these days...
After reading the synopsis, then I admit I frowned and made ​​a movement back on my chair: a book about incest!
I remember thinking, "What in my recent reading has been pushing Amazon to recommend a book like this ..." Limit disgusted even before opening the first page!
Then the days passed, while I was wondering what to read next. This book appeared again. I pushed my research by going through the reviews of readers who took the chance on this novel. I found only good reviews filled with emotions and praises about this story. I confess that when I read that many readers had been moved to tears, this book has whetted my curiosity.

I have an older brother and the idea of a relationship with HIM ... Yuck! Yuck! Double yuck!
Quick, let me think about something else.
That's why I was surprised by the simplicity with which the story of Maya and Lochan is told by Tabitha Suzume. While the reader cannot condone such a relationship, you look at the changing of the feelings of these characters with a different, lenient an gentle eye. The book ties them to you. They were following me when I closed the book. I thought of them when I was brushing my tooth, at the lunch break, during work. This book disturbed me.
Could not help my mind to find mitigating circumstances or anticipate a disaster because such love cannot remain hidden. So I devoured this book and as I approach the denouement. I abruptly stopped my reading. The conflicting emotions from my reading made ​​me want to know the end while refusing to read more because I was sure to cry. My crying was inevitable. Before resuming the story, I waited one month. Maybe I needed to distance myself, to breathe because this book is not easy.

The author through the suffering of Lochan and Maya asked real, concrete and justified questions aboout the two protagonists and their feelings. How can you face the public opinion with this kind of love ? What are the risks of this forbidden love for you, your family, your futur. The reader stops judging the good or evil of this incestuous relationship because the characters themselves are already doing this with great harshness, violence. Even knowing that this love is forbidden, the reader come to expect a happy ending because Lochan and Maya are touching and moving.

"Forbidden" is amazing and disturbing. Very well written. It is a small jewelry not to be put in any hands because the subject is not easy or evident. Yet, it having been moved by my reading that makes me take my hat off to Tabitha Suzume. A beautiful book that will not leave you indifferent.
A brave, poignant and powerful book.
A must Read!



Sentences
« For my part, the choice has already been made. Having the children taken into care is something I have been trying to guard against since the age of twelve. No sacrifice is too great to keep my family together, yet the long path ahead looks so rocky and steep that I regularly wake up at night fearing I will fall. Only the thought of Maya at my side makes the ascent seem possible at all. But lately the sacrifices just seem to be getting bigger. »

« As long as one person isn’t forcing the other one, then I guess any love is allowed. »

« How to explain that this situation, the love we feel for one another – everything that to others may seem sick and twisted and disgusting – to us feels completely natural and wonderful and oh – so, so right? »


FORBIDDEN BY TABITHA SUZUMA

Traduction de l'américain:
Maya, 16 ans, et Lochan, 17 ans, n'ont jamais eu la chance d'être « normaux ». Ayant été obligé de se se soutenir mutuellement depuis des années, afin de prendre soin de leurs jeunes frères et sœurs pendant que leur mère alcoolique et capricieuse les laisse se débrouiller seuls, ils ont dû devenir beaucoup plus que de simple frère et sœur. Et maintenant, ils sont tombés amoureux. Mais c'est un amour qui ne peut jamais être permis, un amour qui va avoir des conséquences dévastatrices ...
« Comment quelque chose de si mal peut-il être si juste ?».

Résumé:
Avec une mère alcoolique, toujours en vadrouille, Maya et Lochan, les deux ainés, sont obligés de prendre en charge le quotidien de la famille. Entre les tâches ménagères, l'inquiétude d'être séparé par les services sociaux, de ne pas avoir assez d'argent pour nourrir leurs frères et sœurs et les devoirs à rendre, pas vraiment de place pour vivre une vie d'ados. Incapable de s'ouvrir aux autres sur cette vie d'adultes imposés, leur complicité se transforme peu à peu en un amour impossible.
Comment parviendront-ils à vivre cet amour interdit ?


Réactions:
La première fois que j'ai vu ce livre apparaître dans les suggestions d'Amazon, mon regard a été attiré par cette couverture sombre, sobre d'un cœur réalisé avec du fil barbelé. La baseline « Comment quelque chose de si mal peut-il être si juste ? » m'a fait immédiatement penser à une histoire de vampire. Après tout un amour interdit avec un vampire, werewolf, revenant, ange ou autres personnages irréels est un sujet très à la mode...
En lisant le synopsis, là, j'avoue avoir froncé les sourcils et eu un mouvement de recul quant au sujet abordé: l'inceste.
Je me souviens m'être dit: « qu'est ce qui dans mes récentes lectures a pu pousser Amazon à me conseiller un livre comme ça... » Limite dégoûtée avant même d'avoir ouvert la première page!
Puis les jours passants, alors que je me demandais quoi lire, cet ouvrage est apparu de nouveau. J'ai poussé mes recherches en allant lire les avis des lecteurs ayant franchi le pas. Je n'ai trouvé que de bonnes critiques remplies des émotions fortes renvoyées par cette histoir
e. J'avoue que lorsque j'ai lu que ce livre avait fait pleurer plusieurs lectrices, cela a aiguisé ma curiosité.
J'ai un frère plus âgé et à l'idée d'une relation avec lui...BEURK ! BEURK! BEUR! Vite, faites moi penser à autre chose!
Voilà pourquoi, j'ai été surprise par la simplicité avec laquelle l'histoire de Maya et Lochan est racontée par Tabitha Suzuma. Même si l'on ne peut cautionner une telle relation, au fil des pages on regarde pourtant l'évolution des sentiments de ces personnages avec un œil différent. On s'attache à eux. Ils ont été jusqu'à me poursuivre une fois le livre fermé. Je pensais au eux en me brossant les dents, à la pause déjeuner, au travail. Ce livre me perturbait. Mon esprit ne pouvait s'empêcher de trouver des circonstances atténuantes ou d'anticiper une catastrophe car un tel amour ne peut pas rester caché. J'ai donc dévoré ce livre puis à l'approche du dénouement. J'ai arrêté de le lire.
Les sentiments contradictoires de ma lecture me donnait envie de connaître la fin tout en refusant d'en lire plus car j'a
llais pleurer. C'était inévitable. J'ai attendu 1 mois avant de reprendre l'histoire de Lochan et Maya. Peut-être que j'avais besoin tout simplement de me distancer, de souffler car ce livre n'est pas facile.
L'auteur au travers de la souffrance de Lochan et Maya, des interrogations réelles, concrètes et justifiées des deux

« Forbidden » est étonnant et dérangeant. Très bien écrit. C'est un petit bijoux a une pas mettre entre toutes les mains car le sujet n'est pas évident. Pourtant, c'est le fait d'avoir été remuée par ma lecture qui me fait tirer mon chapeau à Tabitha Suzuma. Un bel ouvrage qui ne vous laissera pas indifférent. A lire!
protagonistes sur leurs sentiments, le regard des autres, les risques d'un tel amour enlève toute trace de perversité. Le lecteur arrête même de juger du bien ou du mal de cette relation incestueuse. Les personnages le font déjà eux même avec beaucoup de dureté, de violence pas besoin d'en rajouter...Du coup, on en vient a espérer une fin heureuse car Lochan et Maya sont touchants, émouvants.

1 comment:

  1. Forbidden to me was actually going to say looked really like a vampire story. Looks great. Going to buy because incest I feel is a topic that anyone should read about.

    Seems like one of those books like The Taker or The Great always Gatsby.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive